iPhone 6 - Lost and Found.


 

Yesterday evening, I lost my mobile phone. In JB. On flight mode. And it was only 9 days old. We were in JB for a day trip to film some videos for Eco-D. So...right before we headed back to SG, I went to the toilet and that was where my phone fell out of my bag without me realizing.

At the Malaysian customs, I completely freaked out when I saw the front pocket of my bag. It was a huge void screaming at me, where my phone used to be.

My heart literally froze as a wave of panic surged through my entire being. (Like, the mother of all tsunamis.)

So we eventually managed to turn back with the guidance of some very understanding officers at the checkpoint. Trust me when I say that the drive back was one of the most nerve-wrecking moments of my life. Worse than going up any Europa Park roller coaster, because this time I couldn't anticipate any fall.

Some takeaways,
1. I am a lucky monkey. Hahahahahaahah, because I eventually did find my phone in the toilet.
 
2. There is no use trying to "project the future" or predicting worst case scenarios. More often than not, this only worsens the current situation. All kinds of thoughts were creeping into my head, how it may be stolen and gone forever, how I have to explain to my dad who took great effort to secure a new phone for me, how some friends who had lost phones were so upset on social media before, how I have to go back to using a tiny phone screen (first world problem, uhhuh)... The list of bad things could just go on and on but it wasn't going to make the ride any better, so I shredded those thoughts and just tried to preserve some optimism.
That brings us to how...

3. We cannot control what goes on outside. But we can always control what goes on inside.

4. (In)tangible - sometimes the material costs pale in comparison to the intangible stuff. Nicole considered "damage control" - and asked if I have any crucial data or banking/account details stored in my phone. Being dependent on a smartphone equates to convenience, but it could also spell disaster if your phone lands in the wrong hands. Always back up your stuff and don't overly trust phone payment apps!
 
5. Life is full of what-ifs. Even the oft overlooked minutiae of daily life is significant in shaping life as it is in the moment. My phone was lying serenely under the sink when I found it, and it's quite likely that no one else entered that part of the toilet after me. What if I didn't use the toilet, the phone could have landed anywhere else. What if someone had picked it up? I would like to believe that she would be an honest person. We'll never know, because all the what-ifs never happened. Whatever it is - I am thankful for the outcome.

6. Last but not least of my (as usual) long-windedness... Geography projects are a whole new level of exciting. Hahaha, a huge thankyou (and celebratory hug for my groupmates in the toilet) Samantha Tay and Uncle Tay, Nicole and Wendy for a truly unforgettable project experience. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Cheryl

A visual diary of memories