Yangon - January 16 to January 19
Yangon was a beautiful riot of colours. I loved every moment there. This was a rather impromptu over-the-weekend kind of trip, because we managed to score Boxing Day sales tickets from Jetstar. Return tix per pax was just $114?
Yeah. Kind of crazy huh?
However, do note that a visa is required for entry to Myanmar.
Yeah, even though they are a part of ASEAN and you may hold a formidable Sg passport, its gonna cost you $35 + $10 (mandatory processing fee) = $45 for a visa.
No matter though, felt like it was worth every cent to me because Yangon is soooo charming. We ate really well and got around via taxis, but it was still really affordable.
I brought about $200 over and that was definitely sufficient to cover my expenditure.
I also bought a longyi (traditional Burmese outfit) for 6USD! :D Stuffed myself silly with street food at other times, and meals were usually like 3USD per person. Seriously, too awesome.
I also loved that everyone was really honest? Taxi drivers often quoted really reasonable fares (no meters in Yangon cabs!), even if they jacked it up it would be by 1 or 2 USD, and sometimes its really okay to pay that extra amount because the traffic jams can get pretty bad. So yeah!
No stress from scams or dishonesty unlike some other SEA cities I've been to. It was a really stress free and pleasant trip.
A smile goes a long way and its really nice to see the locals going about their way of life. Even better if you can chat with them a little because quite a lot of them actually understand and speak basic English really well (due to the colonial history).
Glad to have spent my post-thesis trip just relaxing and taking in the vernacular sights of Yangon with my two lovely friends :) Perfect way to celebrate our 10th year of friendship too. :)
Yangon was a beautiful riot of colours. I loved every moment there. This was a rather impromptu over-the-weekend kind of trip, because we managed to score Boxing Day sales tickets from Jetstar. Return tix per pax was just $114?
Yeah. Kind of crazy huh?
However, do note that a visa is required for entry to Myanmar.
Yeah, even though they are a part of ASEAN and you may hold a formidable Sg passport, its gonna cost you $35 + $10 (mandatory processing fee) = $45 for a visa.
No matter though, felt like it was worth every cent to me because Yangon is soooo charming. We ate really well and got around via taxis, but it was still really affordable.
I brought about $200 over and that was definitely sufficient to cover my expenditure.
I also bought a longyi (traditional Burmese outfit) for 6USD! :D Stuffed myself silly with street food at other times, and meals were usually like 3USD per person. Seriously, too awesome.
I also loved that everyone was really honest? Taxi drivers often quoted really reasonable fares (no meters in Yangon cabs!), even if they jacked it up it would be by 1 or 2 USD, and sometimes its really okay to pay that extra amount because the traffic jams can get pretty bad. So yeah!
No stress from scams or dishonesty unlike some other SEA cities I've been to. It was a really stress free and pleasant trip.
A smile goes a long way and its really nice to see the locals going about their way of life. Even better if you can chat with them a little because quite a lot of them actually understand and speak basic English really well (due to the colonial history).
Glad to have spent my post-thesis trip just relaxing and taking in the vernacular sights of Yangon with my two lovely friends :) Perfect way to celebrate our 10th year of friendship too. :)
![]() |
| Lounge area of 4RIVERS HOSTEL - hands down one of the best hostels I've stayed in so far - comfy beds and a CURTAIN at every bed! Perfect for privacy and sleeping in peacefully :) |








0 comments:
Post a Comment