Istanbul

For every Ni hao!/Konnichiwa!/random asian greeting, I waved with a laugh and made a mental note of how friendly the shopkeepers could be, but also how those smiles could be hiding the daily struggles of their livelihood.

Istanbul is colours. Istanbul is sounds. Istanbul is its eclectic culture. Its history, its stories and its people. 

At times, your senses are bombarded. Then you find a moment of peace and you watch, in slow motion, as everything unfolds around you. You are integrated into the hustle and bustle, you are at ease. Footsteps become surer, and you weave in and out of the crowds seamlessly. It is easy, so easy to fall in love with this city. 

I don't have many photos, but on some days I can close my eyes and take myself back to the same streets. Plodding down the hill to the metro station, going past the yummy baklava store and waving back to the same grocer with his knowing smile. 

In 4 days, I explored only a fraction of this megacity. I abandoned my crutches on the second day. I walked a tad faster than a snail, especially since the pavements were very uneven. That's alright. That meant that I had more time to take in my surroundings. 

This trip was just about everything. Happy, frustrated, overwhelmed, hungry, satiated, amazed, curious, confused, exhausted, energetic, upbeat, pensive, carefree. (No, I don't have a mental illness. Yes, you could say that it was an amazing journey of (self) discovery.) The more I see, the less I know. And that's exactly what is going to keep me going.

Visuals: 














Türkiye, I'll be back. :)
:



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Cheryl

A visual diary of memories