This was in my drafts since December. Today, I finally reached into the recesses of my memories to compile my thoughts:Today I was at the Münstermarkt.
An old lady stopped me in my tracks enroute to the honey stall, and complimented me on my bright yellow scarf.
She said that she had something similar, and wanted to buy matching yellow gloves in Karstadt, but there simply weren't any yellow gloves to be found.
"Yellow is an uncommon colour for gloves, it looks like it could get dirty too easily," I answered, trying to make it sound like its the most acceptable thing in the world - to want yellow gloves, and not being able to find them. It is perfectly normal, isn't it? To want something, and never be able to have it. Simply because what you are searching for is an ideal. It doesn't exist.
She continued talking.
About her family, about how she lives alone now. About better times, about how bleak things seem to be now.
I asked her if I could give her a hug.
She registered my request, a flicker of surprise across her eyes before she smiled and gave me a warm embrace.
Tears in our eyes, we parted.
I wonder if she remembers, because I do. And I still think about her, from time to time.


0 comments:
Post a Comment