The trip all the way from Freiburg to Manchester was well worth it, looking at the photos and remembering all the fun I had with Siang Yee and Lynette.
Here's the reasons why:
1. I had really tasty Asian food at affordable prices.
Everybody is not going to believe me if I say that I do not..actually..miss Singaporean food.
Go on now, shoot me. I know, I know. It is almost a crime to admit, what's more to feel that way. I do love my hawker food, like my favouritestestest fishball noodles/bak chor mee, fish soup, cai fan, soy bean milk, bak kut teh and etc.
I sincerely expected to be pining for good ol' Singaporean fare within a month but surprisingly, I am doing fine. I don't even miss my fishball noodles much. Shocking. The only logical explanation is that my senses are probably in overdrive now. I see new things and speak to new people almost every single day, and my mind is constantly working, processing details. So missing asian food is probably not on the top of my list now.
Nonetheless, I jumped at the chance to have "very good dim sum!"
Lynette was a great host, and she brought us all around Manchester #likealocal.
Dim sum was really good, and cost about the same as it does in Singapore for decent dim sum. I remember we paid 6 pounds each. (: Pleasant surprise, my wallet didn't bleed to death on the first day.
Good point to note, the restaurant was filled with mostly Asians. Hong Kongers (Kongese?), Chinese, us Singaporean girls etc. Lyn remarked that the best indicator of an Asian restaurant's quality in Europe is it's clientele - more Asians = Good stuff! The real deal! Don't say I never share ah.
Drool:
Yum.
2. Lively streets and a great place for retail therapy
The streets were busy. Riot of colours and only about a million things going on at once.
Musicians here, street perfomers there, fund-raising event round the corner and shoppers.
Tons. of. shoppers.
Because of the shops.
THE SHOPS. High street heaven. Excuse me while I leave my keyboard for a moment to get tissue.
The shopping was so amazing I am going to weep with joy.
3. The company
The flight back was...interesting. Chatted with the friendly lady beside me, who turned out to be a triathlete/cool mum who bought a ton of Topshop goodies for her daughter. These amazing people.
That was the good part, because 80% of the rest of the journey back was TERRIBLE. Perhaps the worst flight of my life, and thats ironic because it was only supposed to be 1.5 hours long.
Think screaming, kicking children and a man who puked and needed emergency medical assistance (so we flew back to Manchester and got delayed)
Resulting in me missing my train, wasting alot of money and reaching Freiburg in the wee hours of the morning. What's new sigh. Thankful that at least Freiburg is so safe though. I feel perfectly at ease walking on the streets at all hours of the day/night, as I do back home in Singapore too. Home :D
Blacking out this negative bit of the journey, because everything else was perfect.
I'd love to be back.
Love, Cher
Here's the reasons why:
1. I had really tasty Asian food at affordable prices.
Everybody is not going to believe me if I say that I do not..actually..miss Singaporean food.
Go on now, shoot me. I know, I know. It is almost a crime to admit, what's more to feel that way. I do love my hawker food, like my favouritestestest fishball noodles/bak chor mee, fish soup, cai fan, soy bean milk, bak kut teh and etc.
I sincerely expected to be pining for good ol' Singaporean fare within a month but surprisingly, I am doing fine. I don't even miss my fishball noodles much. Shocking. The only logical explanation is that my senses are probably in overdrive now. I see new things and speak to new people almost every single day, and my mind is constantly working, processing details. So missing asian food is probably not on the top of my list now.
Nonetheless, I jumped at the chance to have "very good dim sum!"
Lynette was a great host, and she brought us all around Manchester #
Dim sum was really good, and cost about the same as it does in Singapore for decent dim sum. I remember we paid 6 pounds each. (: Pleasant surprise, my wallet didn't bleed to death on the first day.
Good point to note, the restaurant was filled with mostly Asians. Hong Kongers (Kongese?), Chinese, us Singaporean girls etc. Lyn remarked that the best indicator of an Asian restaurant's quality in Europe is it's clientele - more Asians = Good stuff! The real deal! Don't say I never share ah.
Drool:
Yum.
2. Lively streets and a great place for retail therapy
The streets were busy. Riot of colours and only about a million things going on at once.
Musicians here, street perfomers there, fund-raising event round the corner and shoppers.
Tons. of. shoppers.
Because of the shops.
THE SHOPS. High street heaven. Excuse me while I leave my keyboard for a moment to get tissue.
The shopping was so amazing I am going to weep with joy.
![]() |
| Wonder what did I miss out on |
![]() |
| Right on |
![]() |
| Déjà vu, this photo looks like one we took in Copenhagen |
![]() |
| Joy |
![]() |
| Manchester, I'd love to be back. |
The flight back was...interesting. Chatted with the friendly lady beside me, who turned out to be a triathlete/cool mum who bought a ton of Topshop goodies for her daughter. These amazing people.
That was the good part, because 80% of the rest of the journey back was TERRIBLE. Perhaps the worst flight of my life, and thats ironic because it was only supposed to be 1.5 hours long.
Think screaming, kicking children and a man who puked and needed emergency medical assistance (so we flew back to Manchester and got delayed)
Resulting in me missing my train, wasting alot of money and reaching Freiburg in the wee hours of the morning. What's new sigh. Thankful that at least Freiburg is so safe though. I feel perfectly at ease walking on the streets at all hours of the day/night, as I do back home in Singapore too. Home :D
Blacking out this negative bit of the journey, because everything else was perfect.
I saw the sky in a million shades of blue and the endless fields roll away in a magnificent gradient of green.Thank you for welcoming me with sunshine, Manchester.
I'd love to be back.
Love, Cher




















0 comments:
Post a Comment