Alsace: Strasbourg and Colmar

Over the long weekend I hopped over to Strasbourg via Meinfernbus (14,50€) for the Singapore Students' Association of Germany's Kennenlernwochenende. I was on a shaky start after sleeping only 2 hours the night before. I was fully awake and alert, but still I completely forgot that it was a public holiday in Germany. Took a little too much time to pack and ended up missing the tram, which is less frequent on public holidays. On a whim I dashed out to the main road and tried to hitch hike. Thankfully, this kind gentleman stopped by - and he was so kind to agree to drive me to the Hauptbahnof because it was "on the way!" (Although later on, I saw him take a U-turn after I alighted. How nice can Freiburgers get? :') ) I managed to catch my bus. Good start after all.

It was to be my first time in France, and I was pretty stoked. If I don't get to go to Paris (only THE city to go to when people head to Europe, yknow) by the end of exchange (also coincidentally my 4th time in the continent), then I can still say that YES I HAVE BEEN TO FRANCE BEFORE.

Strasbourg and Colmar were so charming.

Autumn's muted sunshine was like the perfect Instagram filter, softening the landscape with a dreamy glow while bringing out the pretty hues of the architecture at the same time.






I had such a fantastic time. I guess now I can truly attach my own memories and interpretation of the term "home away from home."
Meeting like-minded Singaporeans, spending time just wandering around the beautiful streets, lively discussions on what to eat next, lengthy conversations about linguistics, travel experiences, Singaporean cuisine and everything else in between are some of the highlights. Undeniably, the awesome company made the trip, well, awesome.

I reflected a lot upon my return, and I am just really thankful that I made the decision and time to go for this trip.

The streak of chance encounters continue.
While waiting for my transfer train back to Freiburg, I got acquainted with a Japanese man. We were in the bakery, and he very politely asked where I am from. We started chatting, and he was really animated when I told him that I have been to Japan before for a school trip (and that I loved it there of course). I also spoke three lines of Japanese - the sad remnants of my Japanese learning stint back in secondary school. He seemed really amused by that and proceeded to teach me a few other words. Then he bought coffees for us both as we waited for our trains. What a nice, friendly stranger. He was actually headed for Strasbourg to learn French. I helped him with his luggage to his platform, he gave me his email address and we then went our own ways. I remember feeling happy then - that I had accepted the friendly gestures of a stranger.

I thought about all the people in this world - each with their own story to tell, each with their own place to go. We cross paths with so many others in this world, yet we will likely never know the entirety of any single person's thoughts and life, nor be able to grasp the mysteries of coincidence. All these strangers I have spoken to on my trips, all the new friends I have made, all the smiles I have given away and received - these are so much more than just one big illuminating happenstance. These encounters, they have made my time overseas so much more meaningful, and they are seared into my memories forever.

Eventually the sun set, and of course, the lovely lemon tart from Paul that I hand-carried to Freiburg brought everything to a sweet end.

Love, Cher

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Cheryl

A visual diary of memories