Belgium Day 1: Brussels

Caught the 0756 train from Freiburg. As usual, it was a just-in-time kind of journey and I boarded the train just in time. Ran with my luggage from the tram to the platform. Not the first time. Not any more pleasant than the first time. As far as trains are concerned, I am done living on the edge. Thankful that I caught it this time.

Anyway..

I always love those snapshot moments of the train pulling into the station, and you try to get first glimpses of your destination.

The Low Countries. Belgium is one of them. If I am not wrong, the term also carries political meaning and refers to the whole Benelux Region. I really love the name, a big part of it is also because it really reminds me of this story.

I have so much to say about Brussels. It is one of those cities that you often hear about, and you go there with pre-conceived notions and a not so nice geographical imagination of the place - only to have it all changed as you spend more time there.

Everyone I spoke to before told me Brussels was boring. Uninteresting. Serious, unlively de facto capital of the EU.

I didn't want to agree then, and I will never agree now.

I like Brussels.

In fact, it may be one of my favourite Western European cities.
It is dirty. But it has an organic charm.
It has pretty crazy traffic. But it has a pretty well-connected public transportation system and drivers always give way to pedestrians.
It has great shopping and flea markets.
It is very very possible to (dis)cover a lot by foot. Walk off those calories from the fries!
And yes, the fries. Waffles too. On the whole, food seems to be pretty good. There are also tons of cafes and restaurants all around. Groceries are pricey by European standards though.

I had a rough first impression, but the city grew on me over time. I can't quite describe it - but I want to do it justice. I will stop typing now, because the words just can't seem to be flowing. 2 more nights in Brussels for me. So, till next time ;)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Cheryl

A visual diary of memories