Cher Does YTT: Detox of the Body

One of the biggest issues here is the food. I don't eat Indian food very often, but since it is common in Singapore, I have definitely had my fair share of Indian meals. So I came to Rishikesh knowing that I would be exposed to very rich foods (tons of herbs, spices, almost all my meals look yellow/orange). I also knew that I would be on a strict vegetarian diet here because the sale of meat is banned in Rishikesh. I thought that I would have no problems adapting, but I have to admit, on some days I am really struggling. 

Firstly... A vegetarian diet is not always a healthy diet. 
 
I would be adapting a lot better if I was truly eating clean, but because the food here is so rich, I have been losing my appetite. I am not picky about food in general but when you spend 10-12 hours in classes - you need nutrition for energy. So yes, I have been starving quite a bit because I lose my appetite, or at mealtimes I literally eat like three spoonfuls of curry, a chappati and three slices of fresh cucumber. That's it. Breakfasts are better though - I have fresh fruits and peanut butter sandwiches reaaaally give me energy to charge through the first half of the day. 

 
And yes, I have lost some weight. Not significantly but definitely lost some mass, which I don't mind. Im just bummed about the random hunger pangs all the time ): 
 
On off days I do go out and get some food though. Like my 50 rupees fried noodles which taste like the takeout asian food in Europe hahaha but I'm still so happy. Or this:
 
Eggplant and mushroom sizzler with FRIES omg. I never crave junk food but today I'm so happy to just finally feel full. That said though, my body seems to be responding poorly after having fries and my asana practice for the evening class was weaker than usual. 
 
And right now I am having the one and only precious cup noodles that I brought to India with me. I want to cry though. Because I couldn't find a kettle. Rather, j found it but it wasn't working. No one really understood me and when I went to the kitchen to ask for hot water, the chef COOKED my noodles in a pan. I want to cry because apparently yes it is possible to mess up cup noodles. Im just so exhausted and hungry and depressed over the fact that I'm so hungry. Mee goreng turned into a soggy mess: all I needed was hot water. 
I feel like a whiny ungrateful bitch at this point and I shouldn't magnify an issue to be a problem but. Sigh. I just need some time.  

Hopefully I adapt better and find alternative sources of protein. One thing good about Rishikesh is that there are so many cafes - a lot of raw food and healthier options. I'll try them out :) 
  
Thank goodness for healthy doses of optimism as nourishment. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Cheryl

A visual diary of memories