A very timely reminder indeed - that we have to focus on the present. Pondering about the past may not necessarily make us sad. However, constantly revisiting past mistakes or regrets is what makes dwelling in the past unhealthy. So, a lot of times in yoga classes, my teachers and my fellow coursemates have been setting intentions: to focus on the present, and to be thankful for our practice/the day itself (no matter how hot or exasperating or exhausting). This is one of my biggest takeaways from yoga: to always cherish what I have right now, to reminisce on the past and be joyful, thankful that it has shaped me to be the person I am today, and to always live life with zest. *okay now errbody hands up in the air* hahaha.
As in most yoga classes, or any classes really, it is usually a mixed level of abilities. And with that mixed level of abilities i.e. strength/experience/stamina etc., comes different levels of self-confidence. Some people are totally unaffected by others who can do advanced asanas with ease. Some get inspired. Some get jealous. Some people are by nature, more shy and self-conscious. So even if they have a strong practice, they may feel inhibited by people watching them. I like to read people and try to understand how they feel. Therefore, it has been eye-opening thus far because even here, all the way in India, I can still detect that varying levels of self-confidence and ease in classes. When we compare ourselves with others too much, we end up getting the shorter end of the stick because it usually ends up somewhere along the line of wallowing in self-pity/jealousy. A classmate had a mini breakdown after class - felt like she was not doing things right/was not good enough. I spoke with her and assured her that she was doing great so far. It's not sugar coating, because simply by gauging from physical abilities, she is indeed focused and very strong/flexible! I told her that she just doesn't see that she is shining and giving her best because she is simply so distracted with unnecessary negative thoughts. In essence, people will be a lot happier if we focus on the journey of the practice. Where you are, is the best damned place you can be. With the right attitude, everything is progress in the pipeline.
-
On the way back from our Sunday excursion last night, I was chatting with another classmate, Hannah. A very lovely person who has no airs whatsoever, and I really like exchanging stories with her. :) So anyways it was dark and the walk was long (hah!) therefore we spoke quite a bit and she shared a good point, that it's great that we are all in this together. That it's great that we all know it's tough - sometimes it's like pure suffering (because of the heat or whatever physical anguish we may be going through). Through it all, we are not alone. So yeah, the next time I want to complain or have a breakdown, I'll remember why I chose to come this far. I'll also know that I should not be complaining, because my classmates are going through the same conditions as well and WE WILL PULL THROUGH. Incredibly thankful for every (sun)day haha.
Mind over matter, especially when the weather is like this:




0 comments:
Post a Comment